Now that Visual Studio 2005 has been launched, there has been a good deal of buzz in recent days about what’s next for Visual Studio (, ). S. “Soma” Somasegar (Microsoft Corporate VP, Developer Division) provides a roadmap in a lengthy post on his weblog. Hit the link for the full details, but to net it out:
- First service pack for Visual Studio 2005 around summer next year
- Ship the localized versions of VS 2005 over the next couple of months and Team Foundation Server in 1Q2006
- “Re-tooling ourselves to be more agile, productive and predictable” via the MQ milestone project
- Planning for Orcas which is “all about enabling platform adoption for Windows Vista, for Office 12 and for WinFX.” Apparently the initial developer tooling for these products in 2006 is still VS 2005, but the following Orcas release will provide enhancements.
- Ad tech “incubation” work for post-Orcas releases and the “Live” push.